Friday, April 29, 2011

Nominee's Platform - President

Patrick J. Thompson


Colleagues:

Since last fall, the extraordinarily intelligent and diverse group of people pursuing their graduate studies at UM has awed me.  Indeed, I have noticed that one of the greatest resources at UM are the people whom I am proud to call my colleagues. 

Over the course of the past year, both President Hernandez and Vice President Mufuka have done a wonderful job planning very successful INS-GSA events (fall and spring networking events, mock conference panels, and etc.).  Continuing the successful community building activities initiated by the current administration, I propose two additional opportunities for students to learn and get to know one another.  These include the following:

·      Meet & Greet Welcoming Committee:  One of the toughest parts of getting off to a good start at UM is adjusting to the unique environment of the Miami Metro area.  I propose to inaugurate a committee to help incoming students acclimate to Miami.  This initiative would be inaugurated with a brief gathering the week prior to the beginning of the semester.

·      Journal Club: Beginning the second week of classes, I propose we establish a one hour, weekly event, in which a student volunteer can present for their fellow students a current journal article.  Journal Club will furnish students with an opportunity to work on their presentation skills, as well as serving to foster discussion about current research topics.

I would like to close by thanking you in advance for your consideration of my candidacy. If elected, I promise I will endeavor to the best of my ability to be a good steward of our graduate community.

Regards,
Patrick J. Thompson, MPA, MS

No comments:

Post a Comment