Friday, April 29, 2011

Nominees' Platforms - PhD Senators

Menaka Mahajan

I have served as an INS Senator in the University of Miami’s Graduate Student Association since Spring 2010. Recognized by the E-Board as one of the most active and committed Senators, I have voted on issues directly impacting the graduate student body, including the use of activity fees, student socials, and constitutional amendments. I have also introduced new initiatives in the GSA, one of which was recently approved. During the Spring 2011 semester, I conducted a survey of INS students and presented the priorities you identified to the GSA Executive Board. In my presentation, I proposed that these priorities form the basis of the GSA’s future agenda. We subsequently initiated discussions with Administration regarding a dedicated graduate student lounge and an increase in UPrint funds for students with greater need. The petition language I drafted for both issues formed the basis of two GSA resolutions. The resolution for the graduate student lounge was approved; discussions are still in progress for the UPrint increase. I intend to continue these efforts as an active member of the GSA, diligently representing INS in the University of Miami Community. Thank you in advance for your consideration of my candidacy for PhD Senator.

Hanna Samir Kassab

Dear friends and colleagues:

It has been a wonderful first year. Meeting so many interesting people and professors has been a great pleasure and I would like to give back to my department. It would be a great honor to represent my fellow students as the GSA’s Ph.D. Senator for the INS department.

My primary goal is to keep students informed of GSA politics. If elected, I will dedicate myself to accountability and transparency: I vow to involve students in the decision making process, keeping them up-to-date on all issues through departmental meetings and online communication. I will make myself open and available to all. I will vote for us and will fight for our demands.

The GSA must continue organizing social events. More importantly, I would like to promote inter-departmental group study sessions. Learning from fellow students has helped me in my own development.
Those of you know me may know me as an honest, hardworking, organized, diplomatic and friendly individual. I work best with people and I enjoy going that extra mile to get the job done. Student politics can be quite ugly. My past experience has taught me how to deal with difficult situations. Such a position is tailor-made to my specific talents.

Thank you for reading this short platform; it is an honor just to be nominated for such a worthy position. I appreciate everyone who supported me in this run and I know the right decision will be made.

Yours truly:
Hanna Samir Kassab


MA Senator Candidate: Dina Mouliouk

No comments:

Post a Comment